EU Regional School - Gianfelice Seminar
Dr. Gianfelice - Introduction to Statistics
University of Calabria
Statistics concerns the analysis of a collection of data derived from the outcome of an experiment in order to extract from it meaningful information about the nature of the measurements.
- Descriptive Statistics:
- How to organize a data sample in order to extract qualitative information about the performed experiment
- Compute, from the data values, relevant statistical quantities to be used to analyze and summarize in a commensurable fashion the information that can be extracted from the data sample
- Introduction to inferential Statistics:
- Introduction to the probabilistic model of an esperiment and how to draw conclusion from the data analysis about the scientific hypothesis laying behind the experiment
- Introduction to parametric hypothesis tests - The Gaussian case.
S. Ross: Introduction to Probabbility and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists, III edition Elsevier Academic Press (2004)